Summer Scholars Support for California High School Students
A limited number of full and partial scholarships are available to qualified California high school students for summer study at UCLA. If you are a California high school student, you may apply for financial assistance to support enrollment in a single lower-division and upper-division academic course (including Stem Cell Science and the Writing Workshop ) or to cover program fees for one of the following summer institutes for high school students:
- Art Institute
- Dance-Theater Intensive
- Design Media Arts (DMA) Institute
- Global/Green Business Week for Young Leaders
- International Diplomacy and Foreign Affairs: Model United Nations
- Mock Trial Institute
- Nanoscience Lab
- Sci | Art NanoLab
- Summer Institute in Creative Writing
- Teen ArchStudio
Eligibility and Application Process
Space in a program is not guaranteed, even if you apply for a scholarship. A space can only be reserved with the nonrefundable deposit. If a student is awarded a full scholarship this deposit will be refunded. Summer Scholars Support is only available to high school students that are registered and attending a high school in the state of California. Full or partial awards are made based on academic ability (and artistic ability, if applicable) and financial need. Financial need is determined by Low Income limits as defined by the State of California. Students who will enter a college or university in Fall 2013 are not eligible and should inquire about financial aid at the school they will attend. Applicants who received Summer Scholars Support in the past are not eligible.
How to Apply:
First, applicants must first register for an Institute or an academic course by completing the following:
Institutes: If you wish to enroll in an institute you must first complete the Institutes Online Registration Form. When you submit the form, you will receive an e-mail confirming your registration. Please retain this e-mail for your records.
Instructor/department consent is required for admission to the Art Institute, Dance-Theater Intensive, Global/Green Business Week for Young Leaders, Nanoscience Lab, Sci | Art NanoLab, and Teen ArchStudio. Before submitting an application for Summer Scholar support, please await the e-mail acknowledging that you have been approved for the program. If you have not received an e-mail response within two weeks, please contact our office.
Individual Academic Courses: If you wish to enroll in a single UCLA academic course, please view the listing of approved lower-division and upper-division academic courses for high school students, and then view course availability online at the Schedule of Classes. Beginning March 1, you will need to confirm your space in the course by completing the Online Registration Form
Second, once you have registered (if applicable, accepted by the instructor) for an Institute or an academic course, applicants must complete the Summer Scholars Support Online Application provided below (application available March 1 - April 1):
Third, after you complete the Summer Scholars Support Online Application, send the following Supporting Materials in one packet:
- An official copy of your most recent High School Transcript
- A recent copy of your parent/s or guardian/s W2s and 2012 Federal Income Tax Form (1040)
- Letter of Recommendation Form from a teacher or school counselor commenting on your ability to successfully complete a rigorous academic or creative program. Please allow your recommender at least two weeks to complete a letter of support. Students applying for support for a creative program (e.g., dance) may ask a private instructor to write the letter on their behalf.
All supporting documents must be submitted in one packet to:
UCLA Office of Summer Sessions
Los Angeles, California 90095-1418
Attn: Summer Scholars Support for California High School Students
The Summer Scholars Support Online Application (available on March 1) and the supporting documents listed above must all be completed and submitted for the official review process by the deadline of April 1.
Awards may cover tuition for a single Academic Course or tuition and/or housing for a single Summer Institute. Awards do not cover travel costs, textbooks, or other course materials.
Dates and Deadlines
- April 1: Deadline to submit the Summer Scholars Support Online Application and the supporting documents
- April 12: Award announcements are sent via e-mail to students
- April 15: If awarded, students must confirm acceptance of a scholarship by replying to the e-mail that includes the award announcement