UCLA is home to world-class academic and research programs, and its resources include extensive libraries, athletic facilities, and cultural events.
Developed from courses that are already part of UCLA’s regular curriculum, Summer Institutes offer the breadth and depth of UCLA's academic rigor in an intensive, holistic format that allows you to share a unique hands-on learning experience. Upon completion, all courses that constitute each Summer Institute program’s curriculum will be listed on an official UCLA transcript.
Our Summer Institutes are open to students from around the country and the world , as well as UCLA students, and we invite you to come and study in a welcoming environment that appreciates diversity and global perspectives.
The FILM AND TELEVISION SUMMER INSTITUTE's Creative Producing track includes an internship component and is not open to international students. All other tracks, however, are F-1 visa eligible.
International students who wish to enroll in the JUMPSTART SUMMER INSTITUTE: INTRODUCTION TO ARCHITECTURE must select the Architecture and Urban Design 10B & 103 track, totaling 11 units, to meet the minimum 8 unit enrollment requirement. The Architecture and Urban Design 103 track carries 6 units and does not meet the F-1 visa unit requirement.
We are proud to present this year's rich array of programs. For details, please click on the program that interests you.
PRECOLLEGE SUMMER INSTITUTES
Precollege Summer Institutes are designed for advanced high school students who wish to gain academically challenging college-level experience.
Listed below are the 2016 precollege programs*:
MOLECULAR, CELL, AND DEVELOPMENTAL BIOLOGY 50
Stem Cell Biology, Politics, and Ethics: Teasing Apart Issues
SESSION A – 6 WEEKS, JUNE 20 – JULY 29
5 Units. P/NP or letter grading.
This course presents an overview of the various types of stem cells that exist and the important functional differences between embryonic, hematopoietic, and adult stem cells as well as the differences in their biomedical potentials.
Students will delve into the larger debate on human embryonic stem cell research while continually drawing connections to the established fields of bioethics, politics, and philosophy. An exploration of important social, ethical, political, and economic issues and how they arose with respect to the stem cell debate will round out the remainder of the course.
Two sections are offered exclusively to advanced high school students.
HOW TO REGISTER AND ENROLL
- Complete and submit the Academic Course Registration Form. For detailed information on academic course registration and more, go to ACADEMIC COURSES.
- Once registration is complete, an email will be sent to you with your UCLA ID (UID) number. You will use this UID number to create a UCLA logon, if you do not already have one.
The course consists of lecture and discussion. Two discussion sections are available. Select the section that fits your schedule and record its SRS number.
LECTURE MW 9:00-10:50 AM DISCUSSION SECTION A M 12:30-1:50 PM Class ID (SRS) #: 269151110 DISCUSSION SECTION B W 12:30-1:50 PM Class ID (SRS) #: 269151210
- Log into MyUCLA using your UCLA logon and password.
- On the main menu, select “CLASSES”, then “FIND A CLASS AND ENROLL”.
- Select the term "2016 Summer" and select "Class ID" as the search by criteria. Enter the Class ID (SRS) number of the discussion section you wish to take (see above). Click "SEARCH".
- Finalize the enrollment. Once you complete all the steps, you will be automatically enrolled into the lecture as well as the discussion section of your choice. You can verify your enrollment by selecting "Study List" under the CLASSES drop-down menu on the main menu.
COLLEGE/PROFESSIONAL SUMMER INSTITUTES
College/Professional Summer Institutes deliver instructions that go beyond the traditional classroom in architecture, film and television, management and more.
Listed below are the 2016 college/professional programs:
FILM AND TELEVISION SUMMER INSTITUTE:
- Creative Producing** - Film Production
MANAGING ENTERPRISE IN MEDIA, ENTERTAINMENT, AND SPORTS SUMMER INSTITUTE:
- Film & Television Marketing and Management
- Integrated Marketing: A New World of Advertising
- Sports Marketing and Management
TECHNOLOGY LEADERSHIP SUMMER INSTITUTE:
- Leadership Through Communication - Data Management and Analytics, Big and Small Data
** Not eligible for an F-1 visa