JumpStart Summer Institute: Introduction to Architecture
The UCLA Department of Architecture and Urban Design offers a four-week program exploring architectural education for individuals contemplating careers in architecture, design, and related fields. The program carries 6 quarter units of UC credit. The program is structured around the experience of a design studio typically offered within the curricula of graduate programs. Intensive design exercises using the latest computer aided techniques in 3D modeling lead to complex and sophisticated architectural projects that ultimately conform a robust basis for applications to graduate programs.
- Focused on developing design skills using contemporary processes of production.
- Projects enhance the relationship between building and human scales, deeply rooted in a current social and cultural environment.
- Develop digital modeling and drawing skills subsequently deployed in design projects.
- Learn the latest techniques on digital design.
- Engage in demonstrations using digital and analog techniques.
- Participate in group and one-on-one instruction led by architects and designers.
- Participate in group reviews and critiques and present your projects to guest designers, critics, and instructors.
- Gain access to UCLA's Arts and Architecture Library.
OVERALL PROGRAM ACTIVITIES
- Field trips of significant architectural and design sites in Los Angeles take place each week.
- Important local architects and critics who explore the central significance of Los Angeles for the future of American architecture and urbanism provide presentations within our weekly Lecture Series.
- A Portfolio Workshop and Career Symposium expose students to the latest developments in the discipline as well as information to assist them to strengthen their portfolios for application to graduate programs.
This program is an intensive, full-time summer architecture experience. Before enrolling in the program, you should be aware of the time commitment and course workload inherent in a program of this nature.
If you would like to know more or have any questions, please contact JumpStart directly.
ELIGIBILITY The JumpStart Summer Institute: Introduction to Architecture is open to undergraduate and graduate students, as well as working professionals.
REGISTER ONLINE Registration is conveniently done online here. In order to guarantee a spot in the program, a valid payment of the non-refundable deposit ($400 for international students; $150 for all others) is required if registering prior to the May 1 payment deadline. After the payment deadline, a full payment of all fees including the non-refundable deposit but excluding any applicable document and IEI fees is required for registration. Registration is not complete until the required payment is made. Those who are not prepared to pay can submit their registration form and retrieve registration at another time to make payment.
MAKE CHANGES Already submitted the registration form but need to make a change or complete registration? You can easily do so by retrieving your registration. You will need your five-digit registration number that was sent to your email address.
Changes that can be updated or made using the retrieve form include:
- Paying non-refundable deposit
- Uploading required documents
- Dropping a current program
If you would like to switch into a different program or add additional programs, please contact our office at firstname.lastname@example.org with your five-digit registration number, the students first and last name, and a description of the change you are requesting.
UCLA Student Code of Conduct has been developed to maintain a safe, supportive, and inclusive campus community that engages students in order to foster their academic success, personal growth and responsible citizenship.
Therefore you are expected to conduct yourself in a manner which demonstrates respect for yourself, your fellow Summer Sessions students, UCLA's faculty members, and members of the local community.
Behavior governed by the UCLA Student Code of Conduct includes:
- Academic honesty
- Treatment of others
- Health and safety
- Use of resources
- Use of alcohol and controlled substances
UCLA’s reputation for academic excellence and institutional integrity is among the most valued assets; as such, academic integrity is of paramount importance and UCLA does all within its power to maintain its standards.
During the summer, matriculated UCLA students and visiting students alike are members of our diverse and inclusive True Bruin community. For more information on the student code of conduct, please visit the Dean of Students' website.
JULY 5 - JULY 29, 2016