All international (non-immigrant) students coming to the United States with the primary intention of studying are required to obtain the F-1 Student Visa, and must maintain full-time enrollment of at least eight (8) units per session throughout the entire program.
In order to apply for the F-1 Student Visa at a U.S. Embassy or Consulate in your country, you need to receive the Form I-20 (also known as Certificate of Eligibility for Nonimmigrant F-1 Student Status) from UCLA Summer Sessions.
Requesting the Form I-20
To receive the Form I-20 from UCLA you first must:
- Enroll in a minimum of 8 units for the session(s) you will be attending;
- Receive an email from DCISS within 48 hours with the link to the I-20 portal;
- Complete the I-20 request and upload the following documents:
- Passport Copy
- Confidential Financial Statement (CFS)
- Proof of Sufficient Funds
- Proof of English Proficiency
I-20 Request Deadlines:
Session A: May 3rd Session C: June 3rd
Please allow 3 to 4 weeks for the I-20 processing after uploading all required documents and submitting the I-20 request. When ready, your I-20 will be shipped via FedEx International Priority Mail.
If you will be transferring your I-20 to UCLA, please contact the F-1 advisor at your current school and request the release of your SEVIS record to UCLA.
The presentation below will walk you through the steps on how to request the Form I-20.
Click "Present" and open full screen. Use the arrows on the bottom of the page to navigate the presentation.
Getting your F-1 Visa
After receiving the Form I-20 from UCLA Summer Sessions, you can:
- Schedule an appointment at the U.S. Embassy/Consulate;
- Pay the application fee and gather the required documents;
- Pay the SEVIS Fee at www.fmjfee.com at least 3 days before your visa interview.
Canadian citizens are NOT required to visit the U.S. Embassy, but ARE required to complete the I-20 request, pay the SEVIS fee and have it recorded before arriving at a U.S. Port of Entry.
For up-to-date information, please visit the Department of State website.
To maintain legal F-1 student status at UCLA, you are required to:
- Complete the mandatory visa check-in within one week upon your arrival to the United States;
- Maintain full-time enrollment (8 units per session) and earn a passing grade in all your courses;
- Have health insurance for the duration of your studies;
- Maintain a valid passport;
- Get DCISS approval for any temporary travel outside of the U.S;
- Accept no employment without consulting with an F-1 advisor at DCISS;
- Notify DCISS before you transfer to another U.S. school;
- Leave the U.S. or transfer to another U.S. school within sixty (60) days after the completion of your program.