Are the courses that are open to high school students the same as regular UCLA courses?
Yes. The courses that are included in the Precollege Summer Institute curricula, as well as academic courses that high school students are permitted to take during the summer are the same UCLA courses that are exclusively available to UCLA students during the academic year.
Please note that while Precollege Summer Institutes will only have high school students enrolled, those high school students who enroll in academic courses will study alongside undergraduate students and be treated the same as UCLA students. There is no special academic consideration given to students based on their high school standing. They are expected to attend all courses, complete all assignments, and participate fully in the course.
Is there an orientation for high school students?
Unfortunately, no however students will receive a Welcome Packet via email with all the information they need to know about UCLA Summer Sessions and Summer Institutes.
Will UCLA summer courses appear on the high school transcript?
No. But the courses you take will generate an official UCLA transcript.
In rare cases, a high school will accept a course to fulfill a high school requirement. Check with your high school counselor about this possibility.
Is financial aid available for high school students?
Qualified students attending high schools in California are eligible for Summer Scholars Support. A limited number of full and partial scholarships are available to support enrollment in the following:
- INDIVIDUAL ACADEMIC COURSES
- ACTING AND PERFORMANCE SUMMER INSTITUTE
- APPLICATIONS OF NANOSCIENCE
- ART SUMMER INSTITUTE
- DANCE/PERFORMING ARTS SUMMER INSTITUTE
- DESIGN MEDIA ARTS SUMMER INSTITUTE
- DIGITAL FILMMAKING SUMMER INSTITUTE
- GAME LAB SUMMER INSTITUTE
- IMMERSIVE INTERNATIONAL STUDIES SUMMER INSTITUTE
- MOCK TRIAL SUMMER INSTITUTE
- MODEL UNITED NATIONS SUMMER INSTITUTE
- NANOSCALE MICROSCOPY LAB SUMMER INSTITUTE
- NANOSCIENCE LAB SUMMER INSTITUTE
- SCI|ART NANOLAB SUMMER INSTITUTE
- TEEN ARCHSTUDIO SUMMER INSTITUTE
- WRITING SUMMER INSTITUTE: INTRODUCTION TO COLLEGE WRITING
How can I access my child’s enrollment, billing, or payment information?
MyUCLA is UCLA’s student record access system, and the student’s enrollment, billing, or payment information can be viewed on MyUCLA. However, you will have to establish a third party access first.
Under the 1974 Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA), any student attending a higher education institution is entitled to certain privacy rights as stipulated under FERPA. For this reason, information about a Program Participant (e.g., enrollment, billing, or payment information) cannot be shared with third parties without the student’s prior consent.
Students can authorize third party access to allow a third party view-only access to their student records and direct access to their BruinBill account using the steps below:
- The third-party (ex. parent or guardian) will need to establish their own separate UCLA Logon ID and password at https://accounts.iam.ucla.edu/
- The third-party will then communicate their name and UCLA Logon ID (username) directly to the student
- The student will sign-in to their MyUCLA account using their logon and password
- Once the student is signed in, select "Settings" at the very top right of the website, then "Third Party Access"
- The student can enter the third-party's information and select which MyUCLA features the third-party can view or access
Students may revoke access, or change access features, at any time. For more information, please click here.
Do precollege summer institutes offer housing and supervision?
Some Precollege Summer Institutes offer mandatory housing while others are a commuter only program. Please consult the list below.
Mandatory Residential Programs
- Applications of Nanoscience
- Acting and Performance Summer Institute (Session A and B)
- Art Summer Institute (Session A ONLY)
- Dance/Performing Arts Summer Institute
- Design Media Arts Summer Institute
- Digital Filmmaking Summer Institute
- Musical Theater Summer Institute
- Mock Trial Summer Institute
- Model United Nations Summer Institute (Session 1 and 2)
- Nanoscale Microscopy Lab Summer Institute
- Nanoscience Lab Summer Institute (Session A and B)
- Teen Arch Summer Institute
Commuter Only Programs
- Art Summer Institute (Session B only)
- Game Lab Summer Institute
- Immersive International Studies Summer Institute
- Introduction to College Writing Summer Institute
My child is planning to enroll in academic courses. Will housing and supervision be provided?
Students who are at least 16 year and enrolled in academic courses, may apply to live in the UCLA residence halls through UCLA housing services.
Supervision is not provided.
If you wish to arrange supervised on-campus housing, you can consider registering through Summer Discovery, an external vendor offering supervised housing for visiting summer students. Please note that Summer Sessions does not promote or endorse any external vendors.