For an estimate of your summer fees for academic courses, online courses, Precollege Summer Institutes, or College Professional Summer Institutes, please use one of the four appropriate fee estimators based on your intended summer experience below. Select your student category as well as the total number of units or program you'd like to take. For academic or online courses, you can refer to Schedule of Classes to find out how many units each of your summer courses carries.
Summer fee assessment and policies vary by student types. To understand how your fees will be calculated, it's important to know whether you are considered a current UC student or a non-UC student. In addition, those who are considered international students for Summer Sessions registration purposes are subject to additional charges. Below you will find the criteria for current UC and non-UC international student statuses.
CURRENT UC STUDENT
To qualify as a currently matriculated UC student for summer registration purposes, you must meet at least one of the requirements below:
- Admitted student with an active winter and/or spring term and a degree expected term after the end of the summer term
- Incoming freshman or transfer student who has officially accepted the admission offer by submitting a Statement of Intent to Register to the university
- Admitted student returning from a leave of absence (excluding students on probation or subject to dismissal) with a degree expected term after the end of the summer term
If you do not meet any of these requirements, you will be considered a non-UC US student.
NON-UC INTERNATIONAL STUDENT
Living outside the U.S. or being a citizen of a different country doesn't automatically classify a student as international. If you answer NO to ALL of the questions below, you are an international student for summer registration purposes and will require an F-1 visa to participate:
- Are you a U.S. citizen or permanent resident, i.e., a Green Card holder?
- Are you an international student currently studying in the US and returning to the same school after the summer?
- Do you intend to enroll only in academic courses that are offered completely online?
International students may enroll in a minimum of 8 units and a maximum of 20 units per session. Most courses are valued at 4 or 5 units each. We recommend taking 8 to 12 units due to the intensive course format. Note: If you answered YES to at least one question, you are considered a non-UC US student for our registration purposes.
Summer Courses, Online Courses, and Summer Intensive Studies