Applications of Nanoscience Summer Institute
APPLICATIONS OF NANOSCIENCE SUMMER INSTITUTE
The Applications of Nanoscience course is designed for high school students to learn the basics of pursing a scientific research project. As a model students will explore few important applications of nanoscience, learn the basics of reviewing existing scientific literature, and go through the process of proposing a research project in pursuit of new scientific data.
During this two-week program, students have the unique opportunity to explore questions similar to those currently investigated by the scientific community. The program involves hands-on experiments that combine vigorous scientific methodologies and techniques with projects that are both fun and exciting. Moreover, students will work on a team project to experience the process of proposing a scientific research. At the end of this program, students will better understand what makes nanoscience and nanotechnology one of the most exciting fields of research today, how to read a technical journal article, and the basic skills for proposing a new scientific research project.
This program has overlapping contents with Nanoscience Lab and applicants are discouraged from applying to attend both courses.
To apply for the Applications of Nanoscience Summer Institute, you must meet the following qualifications:
- Enrolled in grades 9 - 12 during Spring 2018
Students who do not meet the minimum program requirements should not apply and should consider other summer opportunities.
The Applications of Nanoscience Summer Institute is by instructor consent only. To participate, you must apply and receive acceptance into the program.
Two short essays with the following prompts:
- In no more than 250 words: What interests you in science (or technology) and how will participation in this program help you achieve your academic and personal goals?
- In no more than 125 words: How did you hear about nanoscience and nanotechnology and what is your current understanding of this topic?
Students will be notified within 2 weeks of an acceptance decision.
NOTE: Students should compose the essay before beginning the online registration process. There will be text fields on the online registration form of which the response text can be copied.
How to Apply
Registration for the Applications of Nanoscience Summer Institute can be done conveniently online using the steps below.
- Access the Summer Institute Online Registration Form. Read all terms and conditions, then scroll to the bottom and “Continue to Registration”.
- Complete the first page of the online registration form by answering all mandatory questions, then, select “Continue” at the end of the first page.
- Provide responses to all questions on the second page of the online registration form, including your essay responses (see Application Requirements above for more information)
- Submit your registration form.
- Once your form is submitted, you will be directed to the Retrieve Registration page.
- Allow up to 2 weeks for the program instructor(s) to review your application. An email will be sent to you with the official decision.
- If accepted to the program, follow the steps in your acceptance email to make payment of the non-refundable deposit ($150 for domestic students, $400 for international students) and reserve your space in the program.
A space in the program is not reserved for you until valid payment of the non-refundable deposit* is completed. Those who are not prepared to pay after program acceptance can submit their registration form and retrieve registration at another time to make payment, however you risk losing a space in the program if the program reaches capacity prior to the ability to pay.
This deposit is not refundable under any circumstances including, but not limited to, drop for non-payment and withdrawal, even if you withdraw from the program before it begins. If you withdraw, this deposit will appear as processing fee charge on your BruinBill account.
If the program is full, you will not be prompted to make payment. When your application is accepted from the wait list, you will be notified by email with instructions for methods of payment.
If registering after May 1, full payment of all fees including the non-refundable deposit but excluding any applicable document and IEI fees is required to reserve your space in the program.
HOW TO MAKE CHANGES TO MY REGISTRATION
Already submitted the online registration form but need to make a change or finish your registration? You can easily do so by retrieving your registration. To retrieve registration, please complete the steps below:
- Access the Summer Institute Retrieve Registration Form here.
- You will need your five-digit registration number that was sent to your email address. Fill out the form, then “Submit”.
Many changes and additions can be made using retrieve registration including: Payment submission of the non-refundable deposit
- Uploading required documents
- Dropping a current program
- Adding a second program
- Switching to a new program