Art Summer Institute
ART SUMMER INSTITUTE
UCLA Course Credit: Art 70 (3 units) Two Week Online Program
Study at the world-renowned UCLA Department of Art this summer! The Summer Art Institute is designed for talented and highly motivated high school students. Each two-week session carries three units of UCLA college credit and is structured around a combination of daily, focused studio work, artist lectures, group critiques, and one-on-one meetings with faculty. Students may enroll in one or both two-week sessions and choose from Drawing & Painting, Drawing & Sculpture, Photography, or Video Art & Experimental Animation. Students should expect an intensive two weeks of immersive studio instruction and be prepared to work hard.
Daily studio work is enhanced by special programming. Participants are exposed to a range of media and contemporary art practices with presentations by both UCLA Department of Art faculty and visiting artists.
About the UCLA Department of Art
Headed by a faculty of internationally recognized artists, the Department of Art is committed to artistic development and study within the context of a major research university. As working artists, the faculty represents many approaches to making and interpreting artworks. Students are provided the curriculum to experiment and are challenged to express themselves in ways that are meaningful in the social context in which they live. For information about the UCLA Department of Art, please visit our web site or contact email@example.com
To apply for the Art Summer Institute, you must meet the following qualifications:
- Enrolled in grades 8th – 12th during Spring 2021
- 14 years of age or older by June 21, 2021, and 14-18 years of age at the time of participation
Students who do not meet the minimum program requirements should not apply and should consider other summer opportunities.
To participate in the Art Summer Institute, you must apply and receive acceptance into the program.
As part of the application process, you will be asked to complete the following:
- Upload four examples of your original and recent artwork in JPEG format (width greater than 500 pixels, length lesser than 1024 pixels at 72 dpi).
- Complete a brief questionnaire answering the following questions:
- What is your main reason for applying to the Art Summer Institute? What do you hope to learn?
- What art experience do you have, if any?
- How would you best describe the kind of art that you make now?
- Provide the name, email address, and phone number of one previous art teacher.
- Provide the name, email address, and phone number of a second teacher.
Students will be notified within two weeks of an acceptance decision.
How To Apply
Application for the Art Summer Institute can be done conveniently online using the steps below.
- Access the Summer Institute Online Registration Form starting February 15. Read all terms and conditions, then scroll to the bottom and “Continue to Registration.”
- Complete the first page of the online registration form by answering all mandatory questions, then, select “Continue” at the end of the first page.
- Provide responses to all questions on the second page of the online registration form
- Submit your registration form.
- Once your form is submitted, you will be directed to the Retrieve Registration page. Select “File Uploads” to upload your original artwork (see Application Requirements above for more information)
- Allow up to two weeks for the program instructor(s) to review your application. An email will be sent to you with the official decision.
- If accepted to the program, follow the steps in your acceptance email to make payment of the $350 non-refundable registration fee and reserve your space in the program.
A space in the program is not reserved for you until valid payment of the non-refundable registration fee* is completed. Those who are not prepared to pay after program acceptance can submit their registration form and retrieve registration at another time to make payment, however you risk losing a space in the program if the program reaches capacity prior to the ability to pay.
HOW TO MAKE REGISTRATION CHANGES
Already submitted the online registration form but need to make a change or finish your registration? You can easily do so by retrieving your registration. To retrieve registration, please complete the steps below:
- Access the Summer Institute Retrieve Registration Form here.
- You will need your five-digit registration number that was sent to your email address. Fill out the form, then "Submit".
ART SUMMER INSTITUTE (SESSION A):
JULY 6 - JULY 16, 2021
ART SUMMER INSTITUTE (SESSION B):
JULY 19 - JULY 30, 2021