Art Summer Institute
ART SUMMER INSTITUTE
Study at the world-renowned UCLA Department of Art this summer! The Summer Art Institute is designed for talented and highly motivated high school students. Each two-week session carries three units of UCLA college credit and is structured around a combination of daily, focused studio work, artist lectures, field trips, and a final exhibition. Students may enroll in one, or both, two-week sessions, and choose from Drawing, Painting, Photography, or Sculpture.
Intensive Art Instruction
Led by recent UCLA Master of Fine Arts graduates, the Summer Art Institute curriculum encourages students to explore and expand their creative work and develop their artistic vocabularies. Institute activities are scheduled 9:00 AM to 5:30 PM, Monday through Friday.
Students should expect an intensive two weeks of immersive studio instruction and come prepared to work hard. The low student-to-teacher ratio ensures individualized attention and thought-provoking discussion.
Guest Artists and Museum Visits
Daily studio work is enhanced by special programming. Participants are exposed to a range of media and contemporary art practices with presentations by both UCLA Department of Art faculty and visiting artists, as well as guided field trips to prominent Los Angeles museums such as the Hammer Museum, the Getty, and LACMA.
Final Critique and Exhibition
Each two-week session culminates in a final critique of student projects, hands-on experience installing artwork in a gallery setting, and an exhibition held at the UCLA New Wight Gallery in the Eli and Edythe Broad Art Center. Families and friends of program participants are invited to attend the final exhibition.
About the UCLA Department of Art
Headed by a faculty of internationally recognized artists, the Department of Art is committed to artistic development and study within the context of a research university. As working artists, the faculty represents many approaches to art making and the interpretation of artworks. Students are provided the tools, facilities, and curriculum to experiment and are challenged to express themselves in ways that are meaningful in the social context in which they live.
To apply for the Art Summer Institute, you must meet the following qualifications:
- Enrolled in grades 8th – 12th during Spring 2018
- 14 years of age or older by June 25, 2018, and 14-17 years of age at the time of participation
Students who do not meet the minimum program requirements should not apply and should consider other summer opportunities.
The Art Summer Institute is by instructor consent only. To participate, you must apply and receive acceptance into the program.
As part of the application process, you will be asked to complete the following:
- Upload four examples of your original and recent artwork in JPEG format (width greater than 500 pixels, length lesser than 1024 pixels at 72 dpi).
Students will be notified within two weeks of an acceptance decision.
How to Apply
Application for the Art Summer Institute can be done conveniently online using the steps below.
- Access the Summer Institute Online Registration Form. Read all terms and conditions, then scroll to the bottom and “Continue to Registration”.
- Complete the first page of the online registration form by answering all mandatory questions, then, select “Continue” at the end of the first page.
- Provide responses to all questions on the second page of the online registration form
- Submit your registration form.
- Once your form is submitted, you will be directed to the Retrieve Registration page. Select “File Uploads” to upload your original artwork (see Application Requirements above for more information)
- Allow up to two weeks for the program instructor(s) to review your application. An email will be sent to you with the official decision.
- If accepted to the program, follow the steps in your acceptance email to make payment of the non-refundable deposit ($150 for domestic students, $400 for international students) and reserve your space in the program.
A space in the program is not reserved for you until valid payment of the non-refundable deposit* is completed. Those who are not prepared to pay after program acceptance can submit their registration form and retrieve registration at another time to make payment, however you risk losing a space in the program if the program reaches capacity prior to the ability to pay.
HOW TO MAKE CHANGES TO MY REGISTRATION Already submitted the online registration form but need to make a change or finish your registration? You can easily do so by retrieving your registration. To retrieve registration, please complete the steps below:
- Access the Summer Institute Retrieve Registration Form here.
- You will need your five-digit registration number that was sent to your email address. Fill out the form, then "Submit".
Many changes and additions can be made using retrieve registration including: Payment submission of the non-refundable deposit
- Uploading required documents
- Dropping a current program
- Adding a second program
- Switching to a new program