Design Media Arts Summer Institute
Thank you for visiting the Design Media Arts Summer Institute Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) page! Here, you will find answers to questions that students and parents most commonly ask us specifically about this program.
Still have questions? Check out the general Summer Institutes FAQ page at https://www.summer.ucla.edu/faq/SummerInstitutes.
What background should interested students have in design? Are beginners welcome to register?
Students are not required to have a background in design. Beginners are welcome.
Do most students who enter the program already have experience in design media arts?
Some students do but it is not required.
Are there any group projects?
Students typically work on their own projects which will be valuable for those who will need a portfolio for college applications.
Are students given college application advice for the UCLA Design Media Arts program?
We will hold a Portfolio Night where a discuss will be held regarding portfolios for college applications.
Can students bring projects that they have already been working on?
Students will be asked to create new projects for the class but they are welcome to bring old or ongoing projects to get feedback during Portfolio Night.
What materials do students need?
- Students will need access to an Adobe Creative Cloud all apps license. UCLA will provide free temporary access to the necessary CC product license(s) for students that do not already have an existing subscription. All enrolled students will receive additional details closer to the start date of the program.
- Either a “Student” or “Personal” license for Unity is required. Both are free for individual learning use.
- Laptop or desktop computer (minimum 8GB RAM, 40GB free disk space, discrete graphics chip with minimum 2GB VRAM, screen resolution at least 1920x1080).
- Webcam, microphone, internet, and a smartphone with video capabilities
- Paper, glue, pencils, and magazines.
- In addition to a laptop or computer, an iPad or second monitor is optional but strongly recommended.
- Headphones are optional but recommended.
Are students required to have access to a laptop?
Yes, students will be required to have a laptop or desktop computer (minimum 8GB RAM, 40GB free disk space, discrete graphics chip with minimum 2GB VRAM, screen resolution at least 1920x1080).
JULY 12 - JULY 23, 2021