Digital Filmmaking Summer Institute
Study at the world--‐renowned UCLA Department of Film, Television and Digital Media this summer! The Film and Television High School Summer Institute in Digital Filmmaking is designed for talented and highly motivated rising juniors and seniors (under 18). This program is a two--‐week, intensive production workshop. Students are immersed in the creativity and technique of cinematic storytelling and challenged to create entertaining narrative projects.
- The program curriculum consists of a combination of lectures, practical camera exercises, and post production labs
- All films will be screened in a state-of-the-art theater during the certificate ceremony at the end of the workshop. Friends and family are welcome!
- Students work on sound stages in the Department of Film ,Television and Digital Media, using the latest in editing software and high-definition cameras
- This workshop carries two units of UCLA college credit
- Program activities include film screenings and a visit to a Hollywood Studio
This is an intensive immersion experience for beginning and intermediate filmmakers designed to form a basic understanding of the aesthetic, creative, and logistical decisions involved in making a film. Previous experience in digital filmmaking is not required. Before enrolling in the program, please review the curriculum and course schedule and be aware of the rigorous time commitment and course workload involved.
APPLICATION REQUIREMENTS The program is designed for high school rising juniors and seniors (under 18).
As part of the registration process, each applicant must submit the following:
- A statement of purpose stating why you would like to participate in the program, and what you expect to gain from the experience. No more than 300 words.
- Two letters of recommendation from high school instructors verifying the student’s ability to successfully participate in a disciplined and rigorous program.
REGISTER ONLINE Registration is conveniently done online here starting February 15, 2017. In order to guarantee a spot in the program, a valid payment of the non-refundable deposit ($400 for international students; $150 for all others) is required if registering prior to the May 15 payment deadline. After the payment deadline, a full payment of all fees including the non-refundable deposit but excluding any applicable document and IEI fees is required for registration. Registration is not complete until the required payment is made. Those who are not prepared to pay can submit their registration form and retrieve registration at another time to make payment.
MAKE CHANGES Already submitted the registration form but need to make a change or complete registration? You can easily do so by retrieving your registration. You will need your five-digit registration number that was sent to your email address.
Changes that can be updated or made using the retrieve form include:
- Paying non-refundable deposit
- Uploading required documents
- Dropping a current program
If you would like to switch into a different program or add additional programs, please contact our office at firstname.lastname@example.org with your five-digit registration number, the students first and last name, and a description of the change you are requesting.
The UCLA Student Code of Conduct has been developed to maintain a safe, supportive, and inclusive campus community that engages students in order to foster their academic success, personal growth and responsible citizenship. Therefore you are expected to conduct yourself in a manner which demonstrates respect for yourself, your fellow Summer Sessions students, UCLA's faculty members, and members of the local community.
Behavior governed by the UCLA Student Code of Conduct includes:
- Academic honesty
- Treatment of others
- Health and safety
- Use of resources
- Use of alcohol and controlled substances
UCLA’s reputation for academic excellence and institutional integrity is among the most valued assets; as such, academic integrity is of paramount importance and UCLA does all within its power to maintain its standards.
During the summer, matriculated UCLA students and visiting students alike are members of our diverse and inclusive True Bruin community. For more information on the student code of conduct, please visit the Dean of Students' website.
DIGITAL FILMMAKING (A)
JULY 8 - JULY 21, 2017
DIGITAL FILMMAKING (B)
JULY 29 - AUGUST 11, 2017
FEBRUARY 15: Registration opens HERE
MAY 1: Payment deadline
JUNE 1: Refund deadline
JULY 8: Session A starts
JULY 21: Session A ends
JULY 29: Session B starts
AUGUST 11: Session B ends