Economics Summer Institute
ECONOMICS SUMMER INSTITUTE
UCLA Course Credit: ECON 1 (4 units)
Dates are subject to change
The UCLA Economics Precollege Summer Institute is a three-week-long program designed to help you explore career options, and expand your knowledge of critical economic issues affecting the United States and the world - all while earning college credit and studying at one of the top-ranked economics departments in the world! Students in this program will learn about issues of economic policy and principles of economic analysis while simultaneously building their data analysis skills and strengthening their ability to think like an economist. Students will complete the program with the necessary foundation to apply these methodologies to understand society’s most critical issues.
To apply for the Economics Summer Institute, you must meet the following qualifications:
- Enrolled in grades 9th – 12th during Spring 2021
Students who do not meet the minimum program requirements should not apply and should consider other summer opportunities.
To participate in the Economics Summer Institute, students must apply and receive acceptance into the program.
As part of the application process, all applicants will be asked to provide the following:
- Copy of most recent academic/grade transcript (unofficial)
- A personal statement that answers the following: In 250 words or less, tell us what distinguishes you from your classmates and peers? What do you expect to gain from participating in the Economics Summer Institute, and what do you hope to accomplish during the program?
- TOEFL – Minimum score of 79(iBT) or 550 (PBT); if the applicant is unable to provide their TOEFL score due to test center closure, they must submit a proof of closure and the most recent test score (within two years) or have an English language subject course on academic transcript;
- IELTS – 6.5 or higher;
- iTEP – 5 or higher;
- CEFR/CAE/CPE - Level C1- Grades A, B, and C; OR
- International Baccalaureate (IB) - IB students may submit a transcript or verification of enrollment from their school
Students will be notified within 2 weeks of an acceptance decision.
How To Apply
Application for the Economics Summer Institute can be done conveniently online using the steps below.
- Access the Summer Institute Online Registration Form starting February 15. Read all terms and conditions, then scroll to the bottom and “Continue to Registration”.
- Complete the first page of the online registration form by answering all mandatory questions, then, select “Continue” at the end of the first page.
- Provide responses to all questions on the second page of the online registration form
- Submit your registration form.
- Once your form is submitted, you will be directed to the Retrieve Registration page. Select “File Uploads” to upload your required document/s.
- Allow up to 2 weeks for the program instructor(s) to review your application. An email will be sent to you with the official decision.
- If accepted to the program, follow the steps in your acceptance email to make payment of the $350 non-refundable registration fee and reserve your space in the program.
A space in the program is not reserved for you until valid payment of the non-refundable registration fee* is completed. Those who are not prepared to pay after program acceptance can submit their registration form and retrieve registration at another time to make payment, however you risk losing a space in the program if the program reaches capacity prior to the ability to pay.
How to Make Registration Changes
Already submitted the online registration form but need to make a change or finish your registration? You can easily do so by retrieving your registration. To retrieve registration, please complete the steps below:
- Access the Summer Institute Retrieve Registration Form here.
- You will need your five-digit registration number that was sent to your email address. Fill out the form, then “Submit”.
ECONOMICS SUMMER INSTITUTE:
JULY 16 - AUGUST 6, 2021