Engineering Design Summer Institute
ENGINEERING DESIGN SUMMER INSTITUTE: THE INTERNET OF THINGS
UCLA Course Credit: Engineering 96C (2 units)
Important Note: UCLA has decided to transition all Precollege Summer Institutes to remote learning only. For more information, visit our Updates and Alerts page.
Experience an introduction to engineering design while building teamwork and communication skills and examination of engineering majors offered at UCLA and of engineering careers. A fully remote institute, Engineering Design: The Internet of Things students will work closely with both the faculty director and undergraduate student mentors in small teams to get a hands-on experience with IoT (Internet of Things) devices and enhance their understanding of computing.
To participate for the Engineering Design Summer Institute, you must meet the following qualifications:
- 14 years of age or older prior to June 22, 2020
- Enrolled in grades 8th – 12th during Spring 2020
This Institute requires a background of computer programming experience. Please be prepared to do the following:
- Provide your high school transcript
- Provide a written response to three survey questions about your previous computer science experience
- Pass a 15 minute computer programming assessment
Students who do not meet the minimum program requirements should not register and should consider other summer opportunities.
How To Register
Registration for the Engineering Design Summer Institute can be done conveniently online using the steps below.
- Access the Summer Institute Online Registration Form starting February 15. Read all terms and conditions, then scroll to the bottom and “Continue to Registration”.
- Complete the first page of the online registration form by answering all mandatory questions, then, select “Continue” at the end of the first page.
- Provide responses to all questions on the second page of the online registration form, then “Submit”.
- Upon submitting your registration you will receive an email with further instructions on accessing the 15 minute assessment and survey questions. Once submitted, the faculty instructor will review your transcript, survey answers, and assessment.
- Once the faculty director approves your application, you will receive an email and will be redirected to the retrieve registration page, where you can select “Pay Now” to proceed with payment of the non-refundable deposit . Continue with the payment instructions to reserve your space in the program.
A space in the program is not reserved for you until valid payment of the non-refundable deposit* is completed. Those who are not prepared to pay after program acceptance can submit their registration form, log out, and retrieve registration at another time to make payment, however you risk losing a space in the program if program reaches capacity prior to the ability to pay. An email with instructions to retrieve registration will be sent within an hour of submitting your registration.
How to Make Registration Changes
Already submitted the online registration form but need to make a change or finish your registration? You can easily do so by retrieving your registration. To retrieve registration, please complete the steps below:
- Access the Summer Institute Retrieve Registration Form here.
- You will need your five-digit registration number that was sent to your email address. Fill out the form, then “Submit”.
Many changes and additions can be made using retrieve registration including: Payment submission of the non-refundable deposit
- Uploading required documents
- Dropping a current program
- Adding a second program
- Switching to a new program
ENGINEERING DESIGN SUMMER INSTITUTE (SESSION A):
JUNE 22 - JULY 10, 2020
ENGINEERING DESIGN SUMMER INSTITUTE (SESSION B):
JULY 13 - JULY 31, 2020