Immersive International Studies Summer Institute
IMMERSIVE INTERNATIONAL STUDIES SUMMER INSTITUTE
Join us this summer for our Immersive International Studies Summer Institute, two consecutive week-long intensive programs for high school students who are interested in international issues, history, government, and role-play utilizing the innovative pedagogy of Reacting to the Past (RTTP), an award-winning series of immersive activities (or “games”) that actively engage students in their own learning with its emphasis on research, writing, and oral argumentation. Students assume the roles of historical characters, bringing their character alive in order to explore pivotal moments in history, all while receiving guidance in practicing critical thinking and reading as well as argumentative speaking and writing.
This Summer Institute emphasizes active learning to develop an understanding of international issues and developing a diverse skill set such as persuasive speaking, critical thinking, research skills, problem-solving, teamwork, expository writing, and leadership skills. Reacting to the Past is a series of historical role-playing games that explore important ideas by re-creating the contexts that shaped them. Students are assigned roles, informed by classic texts set in particular moments of intellectual and social ferment.
- 14 years of age or older prior to June 25, 2018
- Enrolled in grades 8th – 12th during Spring 2018
Students who do not meet the minimum program requirements should not register and should consider other summer opportunities.
HOW TO REGISTER Registration for the Immersive International Studies Summer Institute can be done conveniently online using the steps below.
- Access the Summer Institute Online Registration Form. Read all terms and conditions, then scroll to the bottom and “Continue to Registration”.
- Complete the first page of the online registration form by answering all mandatory questions, then, select “Continue” at the end of the first page.
- Provide responses to all questions on the second page of the online registration form, then “Submit”.
- Once your form is submitted, you will be redirected to the retrieve registration page, where you can select “Pay Now” to proceed with payment of the non-refundable deposit . Continue with the payment instructions to reserve your space in the program.
A space in the program is not reserved for you until valid payment of the non-refundable deposit* is completed. Those who are not prepared to pay after program acceptance can submit their registration form, log out, and retrieve registration at another time to make payment, however you risk losing a space in the program if program reaches capacity prior to the ability to pay. An email with instructions to retrieve registration will be sent within an hour of submitting your registration.
HOW TO MAKE CHANGES TO MY REGISTRATION Already submitted the online registration form but need to make a change or finish your registration? You can easily do so by retrieving your registration. To retrieve registration, please complete the steps below:
- Access the Summer Institute Retrieve Registration Form here.
- You will need your five-digit registration number that was sent to your email address. Fill out the form, then “Submit”.
Many changes and additions can be made using retrieve registration including: Payment submission of the non-refundable deposit
- Uploading required documents
- Dropping a current program
- Adding a second program
- Switching to a new program
The UCLA Student Code of Conduct has been developed to maintain a safe, supportive, and inclusive campus community that engages students in order to foster their academic success, personal growth and responsible citizenship. Therefore you are expected to conduct yourself in a manner which demonstrates respect for yourself, your fellow Summer Sessions students, UCLA's faculty members, and members of the local community.
Behavior governed by the UCLA Student Code of Conduct includes:
- Academic honesty
- Treatment of others
- Health and safety
- Use of resources
- Use of alcohol and controlled substances
UCLA’s reputation for academic excellence and institutional integrity is among the most valued assets; as such, academic integrity is of paramount importance and UCLA does all within its power to maintain its standards.
During the summer, matriculated UCLA students and visiting students alike are members of our diverse and inclusive True Bruin community. For more information on the student code of conduct, please visit the Dean of Students' website.
IMMERSIVE INTERNATIONAL STUDIES SUMMER INSTITUTE: TRACK 1:
JULY 9 - JULY 13, 2018
IMMERSIVE INTERNATIONAL STUDIES SUMMER INSTITUTE: TRACK 2:
JULY 16 - JULY 20, 2018