Introduction to Investments Summer Institute
INTRODUCTION TO INVESTMENTS SUMMER INSTITUTE
Important Note: UCLA has decided to transition all Precollege Summer Institutes to remote learning only. For more information, visit our Updates and Alerts page.
The UCLA Economics Investment Summer Institute is a two week-long program designed to provide a broad introduction to investments. Students will explore career paths in finance and gain the tools to begin a personal financial plan- all while earning college credit and studying at one of the top-ranked economics departments in the world. Students will be provided a financial literacy foundation to help better understand the investing landscape with highlight on key concepts and functionality related to business and personal investment decisions. No previous economic, or math background needed to understand the structure of the US and global financial markets, why they exist, and how they impact our daily lives.
NOTE: This program will be completed entirely online. All listed course meeting times provided on the schedule are Pacific Daylight Time (PDT). To accommodate students in different time zones all lectures will either be recorded or pre-recorded. Students are required to attend one program orientation session, two will be provided. Students are required to attend one Q&A and one PLF (Peer Learning Facilitator) sessions daily. For PLF sessions only, students will have a choice of attending either the morning or evening offering based on their time zone preference.
To apply for the Introduction to Investments Summer Institute, you must meet the following qualifications:
- Enrolled in grades 8th – 12th during Spring 2020
Students who do not meet the minimum program requirements should not apply and should consider other summer opportunities.
To participate in the Introduction to Investments Summer Institute, students must apply and receive acceptance into the program.
- Copy of most recent academic/grade transcript (unofficial)
- A short essay responding to the following prompt: In 250 words or less, all students must submit a personal statement to help us to get to know you better. Tell us a little about yourself and your learning style. What do you expect to gain from the Investment course and accomplish?
- International Students ONLY: TOEFL score of 79 or higher or International English Language Testing System (IELTS) score of 6.5 or higher; if the applicant is unable to provide their TOEFL score due to test center closure, they must submit a proof of closure and the most recent test score (within two years) or have an English language subject course on academic transcript
How To Apply
Application for the Introduction to Investments Summer Institute can be done conveniently online using the steps below.
- Access the Summer Institute Online Registration Form starting February 15. Read all terms and conditions, then scroll to the bottom and “Continue to Registration”.
- Complete the first page of the online registration form by answering all mandatory questions, then, select “Continue” at the end of the first page.
- Provide responses to all questions on the second page of the online registration form, including your essay response (see Application Requirements above for more information)
- Submit your registration form.
- Allow up to two weeks for the program instructor(s) to review your application after submission. An email will be sent to you with the official decision.
- If accepted to the program, follow the steps in your acceptance email to make payment of the non-refundable deposit ($150 for domestic students, $400 for international students) and reserve your space in the program.
A space in the program is not reserved for you until valid payment of the non-refundable deposit* is completed. Those who are not prepared to pay after program acceptance can submit their registration form and retrieve registration at another time to make payment, however you risk losing a space in the program if the program reaches capacity prior to the ability to pay.
How to Make Changes to My Registration
Already submitted the online registration form but need to make a change or finish your registration? You can easily do so by retrieving your registration. To retrieve registration, please complete the steps below:
- Access the Summer Institute Retrieve Registration Form here.
- You will need your five-digit registration number that was sent to your email address. Fill out the form, then “Submit”.
INTRODUCTION TO INVESTMENTS SUMMER INSTITUTE:
JULY 6 - JULY 16, 2020