JumpStart Summer Institute: Introduction to Architecture
Jumpstart Summer Institute: Introduction to Architecture
The UCLA Department of Architecture and Urban Design offers a four-week program exploring architectural education for individuals contemplating careers in architecture, design, and related fields. The program carries 6 quarter units of UC credit. The program is structured around the experience of a design studio typically offered within the curricula of graduate programs. Intensive design exercises using the latest computer aided techniques in 3D modeling lead to complex and sophisticated architectural projects that ultimately conform a robust basis for applications to graduate programs. JumpStart is open to all majors.
- Focused on developing design skills using contemporary processes of production.
- Projects enhance the relationship between building and human scales, deeply rooted in a current social and cultural environment.
- Develop digital modeling and drawing skills subsequently deployed in design projects.
- Learn the latest techniques on digital design.
- Engage in demonstrations using digital and analog techniques.
- Participate in group and one-on-one instruction led by architects and designers.
- Participate in group reviews and critiques and present your projects to guest designers, critics, and instructors.
- Gain access to UCLA's Arts and Architecture Library.
OVERALL PROGRAM ACTIVITIES
- Field trips of significant architectural and design sites in Los Angeles take place each week.
- Important local architects and critics who explore the central significance of Los Angeles for the future of American architecture and urbanism provide presentations within our weekly Lecture Series.
- A Portfolio Workshop and Career Symposium expose students to the latest developments in the discipline as well as information to assist them to strengthen their portfolios for application to graduate programs.
This program is an intensive, full-time summer architecture experience. Before enrolling in the program, you should be aware of the time commitment and course workload inherent in a program of this nature.
If you would like to know more or have any questions, please contact JumpStart directly.
To participate in the Jumpstart Summer Institute, you must meet the following qualifications:
- Currently have a high school diploma (equivalent)
Students who do not meet the minimum program requirements should not register and should consider other summer opportunities.
How to Register
- Access the Summer Institute Online Registration Form. Read all terms and conditions, then scroll to the bottom and “Continue to Registration”.
- Complete the first page of the online registration form by answering all mandatory questions, then, select “Continue” at the end of the first page.
- Provide responses to all questions on the second page of the online registration form, then “Submit”.
- Once your form is submitted, you will be directed to the CashNet payment page to proceed with payment of the non-refundable deposit . Continue with the payment instructions to reserve your space in the program.
A space in the program is not reserved for you until valid payment of the non-refundable deposit is completed. Those who are not prepared to pay after program acceptance can submit their registration form, log out, and retrieve registration at another time to make payment, however you risk losing a space in the program if program reaches capacity prior to the ability to pay. An email with instructions to retrieve registration will be sent within an hour of submitting your registration.
How to Make Registration Changes
Already submitted the online registration form but need to make a change or finish your registration? You can easily do so by retrieving your registration. To retrieve registration, please complete the steps below:
- Access the Summer Institute Retrieve Registration Form here.
- You will need your five-digit registration number that was sent to your email address. Fill out the form, then “Submit”.