JumpStart Summer Institute: Introduction to Architecture
Jumpstart Summer Institute: Introduction to Architecture
Four Week Online Program
Extended Registration Deadline: June 15th
Jumpstart is a four-week summer studio for individuals contemplating careers in architecture, design, and related fields offered by the UCLA Department of Architecture and Urban Design.
The program is open to students from all backgrounds and carries six quarters of UC credit. To participate in Jumpstart, you must currently have a high school diploma (or equivalent).
This year’s program will be delivered online in a remote learning format (see Studio Format below).
Structured around the experience of a design studio typically offered within the curriculum of a college-level architecture program, students focus on developing and advancing their design skills through space, and form making, and related 2D and 3D representation techniques.
Through a wide range of activities – from intensive design exercises, individual feedback sessions, and small group discussions, to studio-wide presentations, and reviews – students are introduced to the conceptual and technical facilities essential to the study of architecture as a discipline. To supplement studio activities, weekly lectures from UCLA faculty and notable guest designers will explore the many facets of idea-driven design, as well as urban culture in Los Angeles.
Over the course of the four-week program, students will learn to:
- Produce architectural representation via both orthographic and parallel projections
- Build analog models using manual and digital fabrication tools
- Develop digital models of existing and original designs
- Learn to use 2-D and 3-D modeling and drawing software: Rhino and Adobe Illustrator (individuals with prior modelling experience will be challenged to expand and advance their skill set through technical workshops)
- Communicate architectural ideas effectively across formats
- Nourish those ideas with broader cultural thematics
The program culminates in final presentations of work to guest critics, offering students a chance to apply their skills and gain experience producing and giving professional presentations. Students also develop a design portfolio they can use to apply to graduate programs or professional positions.
Questions? Email email@example.com
This year’s program will be delivered online in a remote learning format. Students will be assigned to an instructor and online studio space, with a dedicated technical support instructor also assigned to each studio. Software and fabrication tool tutorials will be provided each week as relevant to assignments.
A complete list of the required hardware, software and drawing materials can be found here. All students will be expected to provide their own technical equipment and materials to participate in the course.
To participate in the Jumpstart Summer Institute, you must meet the following qualifications:
- Currently have a high school diploma (equivalent)
Students who do not meet the minimum program requirements should not register and should consider other summer opportunities.
JumpStart will be conducted in English. Students are expected to be proficient in English reading, writing and speaking to participate in the program.
How to Register
- Access the Summer Institute Online Registration Form. Read all terms and conditions, then scroll to the bottom and “Continue to Registration”.
- Complete the first page of the online registration form by answering all mandatory questions, then, select “Continue” at the end of the first page.
- Provide responses to all questions on the second page of the online registration form, then “Submit”.
- Once your form is submitted, you will be directed to the CashNet payment page to proceed with payment of the non-refundable registration fee ($150 for UCLA and UC students, $350 for non-UC students). Continue with the payment instructions to reserve your space in the program.
A space in the program is not reserved for you until valid payment of the non-refundable registration fee is completed. Those who are not prepared to pay after program acceptance can submit their registration form, log out, and retrieve registration at another time to make payment, however you risk losing a space in the program if program reaches capacity prior to the ability to pay. An email with instructions to retrieve registration will be sent within an hour of submitting your registration.
How to Make Registration Changes
Already submitted the online registration form but need to make a change or finish your registration? You can easily do so by retrieving your registration. To retrieve registration, please complete the steps below:
- Access the Summer Institute Retrieve Registration Form here.
- You will need your five-digit registration number that was sent to your email address. Fill out the form, then “Submit”.
JULY 6 - JULY 30, 2021