Business of Media, Entertainment, and Sports Summer Institute

All international (non-immigrant) students coming to the United States with the primary intention of studying are required to obtain the F-1 Student Visa, and must maintain full-time enrollment of at least eight (8) units per session throughout the entire program.

In order to apply for the F-1 Student Visa at a U.S. Embassy or Consulate in your country, you need to receive the Form I-20 (also known as Certificate of Eligibility for Nonimmigrant F-1 Student Status) from UCLA Summer Sessions.

Requesting the Form I-20

In order to apply for the F-1 Student Visa at a U.S. Embassy or Consulate in your country, you need to receive the Form I-20 (also known as Certificate of Eligibility for Nonimmigrant F-1 Student Status) from UCLA Summer Sessions. This form will be issued by the UCLA Dashew Center for International Students and Scholars (DCISS).

To receive the Form I-20 from UCLA you first must:

  • Enroll in a minimum of 1 unit per week of attendance;
  • Receive an email from DCISS within 48 hours with the link to the I-20 portal;
  • Complete the I-20 request and upload the following documents:
    • Passport Copy
    • Confidential Financial Statement (CFS)
    • Proof of Sufficient Funds
    • Proof of English Proficiency
    • Additional documents for F-1 students transferring from another U.S. institution:
      • SEVIS Transfer Form
      • Previous/Current School’s I-20

Getting your F-1 Visa

After receiving the Form I-20 from UCLA Summer Sessions, you can:

  • Schedule an appointment at the U.S. Embassy/Consulate;
  • Pay the application fee and gather the required documents;
  • Pay the SEVIS Fee at at least 3 days before your visa interview.

Canadian citizens are NOT required to visit the U.S. Embassy, but ARE required to complete the I-20 request, pay the SEVIS fee and have it recorded before arriving at a U.S. Port of Entry.

For up-to-date information, please visit the Department of State website.

F-1 Regulations

To maintain legal F-1 student status at UCLA, you are required to:

  • Complete the mandatory visa check-in within one week upon your arrival to the United States;
  • Maintain full-time enrollment (1 unit per week of attendance) and earn a passing grade in all your courses;
  • Have health insurance for the duration of your studies (provide by UCLA);
  • Maintain a valid passport;
  • Get DCISS approval for any temporary travel outside of the U.S;
  • Accept no employment without consulting with an F-1 advisor at DCISS;
  • Notify DCISS before you transfer to another U.S. school;
  • Leave the U.S. or transfer to another U.S. school within sixty (60) days after the completion of your program.

English Requirements

International students are expected to have English proficiency levels equivalent to or greater than the test scores below and must provide proof: 

  • Minimum TOEFL score of 60 (revised PT) or 80 (iBT);
  • IELTS score of 6.5;
  • iTEP score of 5.0;
  • CAE minimum grade of B (CEFR C1); or
  • CPE minimum grade of C (CEFR C2)


Citizens from any of the following countries are exempt from providing proof of English proficiency:

  • Australia
  • Canada
  • Ireland
  • New Zealand
  • Singapore
  • United Kingdom

If you are an International Baccalaureates or currently enrolled in an academic institution where the primary language of instruction is English, you may submit an official transcript or verification of enrollment from your school for consideration of granting an exception.



BruinCare coverage includes visits to the UCLA Arthur Ashe Student Health & Wellness Center on campus, and covers basic services. Students must show their BruinCards or provide their 9-digit UID with a valid form of ID to receive services. Please note that some services are not covered under the Summer BruinCare plan. For more details on fees, please see Fees and Eligibility.

Except in the case of a serious emergency, students must always visit the Arthur Ashe Student Health Center on campus first. If it is necessary to go to the hospital, an Ashe Center representative will refer them for further treatment.

Blue Cross/Blue Shield (PPO)

Blue Cross/Blue Shield (provided by Relation Insurance Services) covers students for scheduled doctor’s visits and emergency care anywhere in the United States.  For more information, please visit The Plan Snapshot summarizes the insurance plan coverage and the booklet How to Use Your Plan gives detailed information on how the plan works. Coverage encompasses Summer Session A and Summer Session C. Specific dates will be emailed to the students before the program starts.

Please be aware that many U.S. medical institutions do not accept health insurance policies from other countries. In addition, the cost of health care in the U.S. can be extremely high.

Insurance ID Card

Insurance ID cards are sent by GEOBLUE via email before the beginning of the program. After receiving the email, you may set up an account at to access your ID card anytime and locate participating providers.

For questions regarding ID cards, please contact Relation Insurance Services at 1-800-537-1777 or

Program Dates

JUNE 22 - JULY 31, 2020

Important Dates

JUNE 22 - JULY 31: Business of Media, Entertainment, and Sports Summer Institute

FEBRUARY 15: Registration Opens

APRIL 1-30: Financial Aid Application for Current UCLA Students Available

MAY 1: Payment due in full

MAY 1: Registration Deadline for Int'l Students (Session A & B)

JUNE 15: Refund Deadline

UCLA Summer Sessions COVID-19 Updates. Learn More.