Nanoscience Lab Summer Institute
NANOSCIENCE LAB SUMMER INSTITUTE
UCLA Course Credit: CHEM 7 (2 units)
The CNSI Nanoscience Lab Summer Institute is an exclusive summer workshop for high school students with a background in chemistry that are interested in advanced science and technology. During this five day program, students have the unique opportunity to explore technologies similar to those currently investigated by the scientific community through hands-on experiments that give students a survey of diverse topics, including bio-toxicity, supercapacitors, and photolithography. Moreover, these experiments, designed by UCLA researchers, teach students the key concepts of nanoscale phenomena that make nanoscience and nanotechnology one of the most exciting fields of research today.
This course will be offered twice each summer.
To apply for the Nanoscience Lab Summer Institute, you must meet the following qualifications:
- 14 years of age or older prior to June 24, 2019
- Enrolled in grades 10th – 12th during Spring 2019
- Strong science foundation in chemisty, physics, and biology
Students who do not meet the minimum program requirements should not apply and should consider the Applications of Nanoscience Summer Institute.
The Nanoscience Lab Summer Institute is by instructor consent only. To participate, you must apply and receive acceptance into the program.
As part of the application process, you will be asked to complete the following:
- Short essay responses to the following prompts:
- In no more than 250 words: What interests you in science (or technology) and how will participation in this program help you achieve your academic and personal goals?
- In no more than 125 words: How did you hear about nanoscience and nanotechnology and what is your current understanding of this topic?
Admission Decision Notification
Applications will be reviewed in two rounds.
Round 1: Students who apply before March 9 will receive their admission decision notification via email by March 16. Full payment will be due March 30.
Round 2: Students who apply before April 6 will receive their admission decision notification via email by April 13. Full payment will be due May 1.
How to Apply
Application for the Nanoscience Lab Summer Institute can be done conveniently online using the steps below.
- Access the Summer Institute Online Registration Form. Read all terms and conditions, then scroll to the bottom and “Continue to Registration”.
- Complete the first page of the online registration form by answering all mandatory questions, then, select “Continue” at the end of the first page.
- Provide responses to all questions on the second page of the online registration form, including your essay responses (see Application Requirements above for more information)
- Submit your registration form.
- Once your form is submitted, you will be directed to the Retrieve Registration page.
- Wait for the program instructor(s) to review your application. An email will be sent to you with the official decision.
- If accepted to the program, follow the steps in your acceptance email to make payment of the non-refundable deposit ($150 for domestic students, $400 for international students) and reserve your space in the program.
A space in the program is not reserved for you until valid payment of the non-refundable deposit* is completed. Those who are not prepared to pay after program acceptance can submit their registration form and retrieve registration at another time to make payment, however you risk losing a space in the program if the program reaches capacity prior to the ability to pay.
This deposit is not refundable under any circumstances including, but not limited to, drop for non-payment and withdrawal, even if you withdraw from the program before it begins. If you withdraw, this deposit will appear as processing fee charge on your BruinBill account.
If the program is full, you will not be prompted to make payment. When your application is accepted from the wait list, you will be notified by email with instructions for methods of payment.
If registering after May 1, full payment of all fees including the non-refundable deposit but excluding any applicable document and IEI fees is required to reserve your space in the program.
How to Make Registration Changes
Already submitted the online registration form but need to make a change or finish your registration? You can easily do so by retrieving your registration. To retrieve registration, please complete the steps below:
- Access the Summer Institute Retrieve Registration Form here.
- You will need your five-digit registration number that was sent to your email address. Fill out the form, then “Submit”.
NANOSCIENCE LAB SUMMER INSTITUTE (A):
JULY 21 - JULY 26, 2019
NANOSCIENCE LAB SUMMER INSTITUTE (B):
JULY 28 - AUGUST 2, 2019