Nanoscience Lab Summer Institute
NANOSCIENCE LAB SUMMER INSTITUTE
The CNSI Nanoscience Lab Summer Institute is an exclusive summer workshop for high school students interested in advanced science and technology. During this five day program, students have the unique opportunity to explore questions similar to those currently investigated by the scientific community. The program involves hands-on experiments that combine vigorous scientific methodologies and techniques with projects that are both fun and exciting. Moreover, these experiments, designed by UCLA researchers, teach students the key concepts of nanoscale phenomena that make nanoscience and nanotechnology one of the most exciting fields of research today.
This course will be offered twice each summer. This program has overlapping contents with Applications of Nanoscience and applicants are discouraged from applying to attend both courses.
- 14 years of age or older prior to June 25, 2018
- Enrolled in grades 9th – 12th during Spring 2018
- Strong science foundation in chemisty, physics, and biology
Students who do not meet the minimum program requirements should not apply and should consider the Applications of Nanoscience Summer Institute.
APPLICATION REQUIREMENTS The Nanoscience Lab Summer Institute is by instructor consent only. To participate, you must apply and receive acceptance into the program.
As part of the application process, you will be asked to complete the following:
- Short essay responses to the following prompts:
- In no more than 250 words: What interests you in science (or technology) and how will participation in this program help you achieve your academic and personal goals?
- In no more than 125 words: How did you hear about nanoscience and nanotechnology and what is your current understanding of this topic?
ADMISSION DECISION NOTIFICATION Applications will be reviewed in two rounds.
Round 1: Students who apply before March 9 will receive their admission decision notification via email by March 16. Full payment will be due March 30.
Round 2: Students who apply before April 6 will receive their admission decision notification via email by April 13. Full payment will be due May 1.
HOW TO APPLY Application for the Nanoscience Lab Summer Institute can be done conveniently online using the steps below.
- Access the Summer Institute Online Registration Form. Read all terms and conditions, then scroll to the bottom and “Continue to Registration”.
- Complete the first page of the online registration form by answering all mandatory questions, then, select “Continue” at the end of the first page.
- Provide responses to all questions on the second page of the online registration form, including your essay responses (see Application Requirements above for more information)
- Submit your registration form.
- Once your form is submitted, you will be directed to the Retrieve Registration page.
- Wait for the program instructor(s) to review your application. An email will be sent to you with the official decision.
- If accepted to the program, follow the steps in your acceptance email to make payment of the non-refundable deposit ($150 for domestic students, $400 for international students) and reserve your space in the program.
A space in the program is not reserved for you until valid payment of the non-refundable deposit* is completed. Those who are not prepared to pay after program acceptance can submit their registration form and retrieve registration at another time to make payment, however you risk losing a space in the program if the program reaches capacity prior to the ability to pay.
HOW TO MAKE CHANGES TO MY REGISTRATION Already submitted the online registration form but need to make a change or finish your registration? You can easily do so by retrieving your registration. To retrieve registration, please complete the steps below:
- Access the Summer Institute Retrieve Registration Form here.
- You will need your five-digit registration number that was sent to your email address. Fill out the form, then “Submit”.
Many changes and additions can be made using retrieve registration including: Payment submission of the non-refundable deposit
- Uploading required documents
- Dropping a current program
- Adding a second program
- Switching to a new program
The UCLA Student Code of Conduct has been developed to maintain a safe, supportive, and inclusive campus community that engages students in order to foster their academic success, personal growth and responsible citizenship. Therefore you are expected to conduct yourself in a manner which demonstrates respect for yourself, your fellow Summer Sessions students, UCLA's faculty members, and members of the local community. Behavior governed by the UCLA Student Code of Conduct includes academic honesty, treatment of others, health and safety, use of resources, and use of alcohol and controlled substances. UCLA’s reputation for academic excellence and institutional integrity is among the most valued assets; as such, academic integrity is of paramount importance and UCLA does all within its power to maintain its standards.
During the summer, matriculated UCLA students and visiting students alike are members of our diverse and inclusive True Bruin community. For more information on the student code of conduct, please visit the Dean of Students' website.
NANOSCIENCE LAB SUMMER INSTITUTE (A):
JULY 22 - JULY 27, 2018
NANOSCIENCE LAB SUMMER INSTITUTE (B):
JULY 29 - AUGUST 3, 2018