Nanoscale Microscopy Lab Summer Institute
NANOSCALE MICROSCOPY LAB SUMMER INSTITUTE
Nanoscale Microscopy Lab is a one-week, hands-on, science learning opportunity for high school students on scientific imaging, a topic that is typically only accessible in an advance college level course. Specifically, students will be able to explore three key microscopy techniques for nanoscience research: fluorescence microscopy, scanning probe microscopy, and electron microscopy. This one-week summer course offers an exploratory introduction to this important scientific skill for students as early as 10th grade at the high school level.
For participating students who intend to become science majors in college, this course will provide a foundational knowledge to a key element in the scientific method of observation. For participating students who might not pursue a science career, the course offers a glimpse on how scientists study the invisible world of atoms and molecules, which enable the water repelling clothes they wear to the smart phones they use. The course will focus on microscopy in Nanoscience, one of the most exciting fields in current research.
To apply for the Nanoscale Microscopy Lab Summer Institute, you must meet the following qualifications:
- 14 years of age or older prior to June 25, 2018
- Enrolled in grades 9th – 12th during Spring 2018
Students who do not meet the minimum program requirements should not apply and should consider other summer opportunities.
The Nanoscale Microscopy Lab Summer Institute is by instructor consent only. To participate, you must apply and receive acceptance into the program.
As part of the application process, you will be asked to complete the following:
- Short essay responses to the following prompts:
- List relevant courses or experience you have in the sciences.
- In 250 words or less, please explain how an understanding of microscopy can help you in your future studies or career plan?
- In 150 words or less, what do you know about nanoscience or the atomic/molecular scale?
Students will be notified within 2 weeks of an acceptance decision.
NOTE: Students should compose the essay before beginning the online registration process. There will be text fields on the online registration form of which the response text can be copied.
How to Apply
Application for the Nanoscale Microscopy Lab can be done conveniently online using the steps below.
- Access the Summer Institute Online Registration Form. Read all terms and conditions, then scroll to the bottom and “Continue to Registration”.
- Complete the first page of the online registration form by answering all mandatory questions, then, select “Continue” at the end of the first page.
- Provide responses to all questions on the second page of the online registration form, including your essay responses (see Application Requirements above for more information)
- Submit your registration form.
- Once your form is submitted, you will be directed to the Retrieve Registration page.
- Allow up to 2 weeks for the program instructor(s) to review your application. An email will be sent to you with the official decision.
- If accepted to the program, follow the steps in your acceptance email to make payment of the non-refundable deposit ($150 for domestic students, $400 for international students) and reserve your space in the program.
A space in the program is not reserved for you until valid payment of the non-refundable deposit* is completed. Those who are not prepared to pay after program acceptance can submit their registration form and retrieve registration at another time to make payment, however you risk losing a space in the program if the program reaches capacity prior to the ability to pay.
This deposit is not refundable under any circumstances including, but not limited to, drop for non-payment and withdrawal, even if you withdraw from the program before it begins. If you withdraw, this deposit will appear as processing fee charge on your BruinBill account.
If the program is full, you will not be prompted to make payment. When your application is accepted from the wait list, you will be notified by email with instructions for methods of payment.
If registering after May 1, full payment of all fees including the non-refundable deposit but excluding any applicable document and IEI fees is required to reserve your space in the program.
HOW TO MAKE CHANGES TO MY REGISTRATION
Already submitted the online registration form but need to make a change or finish your registration? You can easily do so by retrieving your registration. To retrieve registration, please complete the steps below:
- Access the Summer Institute Retrieve Registration Form here.
- You will need your five-digit registration number that was sent to your email address. Fill out the form, then “Submit”.
Many changes and additions can be made using retrieve registration including: Payment submission of the non-refundable deposit
- Uploading required documents
- Dropping a current program
- Adding a second program
- Switching to a new program