Sci | Art Lab + Studio Summer Institute
Creativity is the fundamental source of innovation in any endeavor. Unfortunately, current educational models generally focus on the development analytical skills at the expense of creative thought. Sponsored by UCLA's Art|Sci Center, the Department of Design Media Arts (DMA) at UCLA and the California NanoSystems Institute (CNSI), the Sci|Art Lab+Studio Summer Institute is a highly competitive, 2-week summer program for high school juniors and seniors interested in collaborating with diverse and notable minds to challenge traditional, polarized perspectives of the arts and sciences.
Interdisciplinary at its core, nanoscience research requires fresh ways of thinking and new methodologies. The future of nanotechnology is determined not just by scientific knowledge, but also by the application of creative thought and imagination that go beyond a traditional reductionist approach. The advantage of an artistic approach to nanotechnology lies in its ability to address challenges from a more holistic and general view, to conceive of new ways to deal with complexity which, when combined with science, provide a powerful new direction for invention and creation.
During this intensive 2-week program, students will make connections between cutting edge scientific research, popular culture and contemporary arts. Through historical retrospective, surveys of current art-science collaborations as well as science fiction movie screenings, students will be exposed to the interface of science, art and culture with a focus on multi-disciplinary collaborations that explore the possibilities and implications of technological innovation. Lab visits, workshops, hands-on experiments, and meetings with world renowned scientists will be balanced with visits to museums, daily movie screenings and meetings with famous contemporary artists who collaborate with scientists.
You can also view the Sci | Art Lab+Studio Summer Institute website.
Due to the rigorous and intense nature of the program, the residential plan, which includes housing, a meal plan, a schedule of activities, and supervision, is mandatory for all students. By living together, students have the opportunity to get to know their classmates and counselors better, and are able to spend more time working on their projects. The residential plan also alleviates the safety and time concerns inherent in an urban commute. Students receive supervision by an exceptional staff of UCLA undergraduate students and full-time staff members.
Read about Sci|Art Lab+Studio Summer Institute in UCLA Today!
To apply for the Sci|Art Lab + Studio Summer Institute, you must meet the following qualifications:
- 14 years of age or older prior to June 24, 2019
- Enrolled in grades 10th – 12th during Spring 2019
Students who do not meet the minimum program requirements should not apply and should consider other summer opportunities.
The Sci|Art Lab+Studio Summer Institute is by instructor consent only. To participate, you must apply and receive acceptance into the program.
As part of the application process, you will be asked to complete the following:
- One 500-word essay, you can pick from one of the following prompts:
- Choose a favorite sci-fi movie or book and tell us what ideas you find exciting
- If you plan to pursue the sciences as a major in college, tell us about your art or music interests
- If you plan to pursue the arts as a major in college, tell us about your interest in science and technology
- Letter of Recommendation from a teacher or counselor (optional). Letters of recommendation can be submitted via email to firstname.lastname@example.org after registration is complete.
Applications are reviewed every two weeks and students will be notified by email of an acceptance decision.
NOTE: Students should compose the essay before beginning the online registration process. There will be text fields on the online registration form of which the response text can be copied.
How to Apply
Application for the Sci|Art Lab + Studio can be done conveniently online using the steps below.
- Access the Summer Institute Online Registration Form. Read all terms and conditions, then scroll to the bottom and “Continue to Registration”.
- Complete the first page of the online registration form by answering all mandatory questions, then, select “Continue” at the end of the first page.
- Provide responses to all questions on the second page of the online registration form, including your essay response (see Application Requirements above for more information)
- Submit your registration form.
- Once your form is submitted, you will be directed to the Retrieve Registration page. Select “File Uploads” if you wish to upload a letter of recommendation (see Application Requirements above for more information)
- Allow up to 2 weeks for the program instructor(s) to review your application. An email will be sent to you with the official decision.
- If accepted to the program, follow the steps in your acceptance email to make payment of the non-refundable deposit ($150 for domestic students, $400 for international students) and reserve your space in the program.
A space in the program is not reserved for you until valid payment of the non-refundable deposit* is completed. Those who are not prepared to pay after program acceptance can submit their registration form and retrieve registration at another time to make payment, however you risk losing a space in the program if the program reaches capacity prior to the ability to pay.
This deposit is not refundable under any circumstances including, but not limited to, drop for non-payment and withdrawal, even if you withdraw from the program before it begins. If you withdraw, this deposit will appear as processing fee charge on your BruinBill account.
If the program is full, you will not be prompted to make payment. When your application is accepted from the wait list, you will be notified by email with instructions for methods of payment.
If registering after May 1, full payment of all fees including the non-refundable deposit but excluding any applicable document and IEI fees is required to reserve your space in the program.
How to Make Registration Changes
Already submitted the online registration form but need to make a change or finish your registration? You can easily do so by retrieving your registration. To retrieve registration, please complete the steps below:
- Access the Summer Institute Retrieve Registration Form here.
- You will need your five-digit registration number that was sent to your email address. Fill out the form, then “Submit”.
JULY 28 - AUGUST 9, 2019