Startup UCLA Summer Institute
STARTUP UCLA SUMMER INSTITUTE
The Startup UCLA: Social Entrepreneurship Summer Institute online course will introduce students to social entrepreneurship, including starting social enterprises and non-profits. In this hands-on program, students will design their own actual social good organization. They will learn the basics of starting, building, and running non-profit organizations and social impact businesses.
The course will focus on the creation of new organizations designed to contribute to the greater good. Students who may be interested in learning how to start their own organization for social good or leading social impact movements should sign up!
In the first half of the course, students will learn the basics of researching and creating a mission-oriented venture. In the second half of the course, students will put that knowledge into action by creating their own ventures. Students will form teams to work on their startup ideas. Each team will prepare a 5-minute pitch to present to a panel of entrepreneurs and investors for feedback.
To participate in the Startup UCLA: Social Entrepreneurship Summer Institute, you must meet the following qualifications:
- Enrolled in grades 10th – 11th during Spring 2021.
Students who do not meet the minimum program requirements should not apply and should consider other summer opportunities.
The Startup UCLA: Social Entrepreneurship Summer Institute is by admission only. To participate, you must apply and receive acceptance into the program.
- Essay responses to the following prompts:
- Why are you applying for this program? What interests you about social entrepreneurship? (250 words or less)
- What strengths would you bring in terms of skills, passions, and knowledge to the class? (250 words or less)
- Do you have any experience with social entrepreneurship, e.g., working or volunteering with a non-profit or a business involved in social impact? (optional, 125 words or less)
How To Apply
- Access the Summer Institute Online Registration Form. Read all terms and conditions, then scroll to the bottom and “Continue to Registration”.
- Complete the first page of the online registration form by answering all mandatory questions, then, select “Continue” at the end of the first page.
- Provide responses to all questions on the second page of the online registration form, including your essay response (see Application Requirements above for more information)
- Submit your registration form.
- Allow up to two weeks for the program instructor(s) to review your application after submission. An email will be sent to you with the official decision.
- If accepted to the program, follow the steps in your acceptance email to make payment of the non-refundable registration fee ($350 and reserve your space in the program.
A space in the program is not reserved for you until valid payment of the non-refundable registration fee* is completed. Those who are not prepared to pay after program acceptance can submit their registration form and retrieve registration at another time to make payment, however you risk losing a space in the program if the program reaches capacity prior to the ability to pay.
How to Make Changes to My RegistrationAlready submitted the online registration form but need to make a change or finish your registration? You can easily do so by retrieving your registration. To retrieve registration, please complete the steps below:
- Access the Summer Institute Retrieve Registration Form here.
- You will need your five-digit registration number that was sent to your email address. Fill out the form, then “Submit”.
STARTUP UCLA: SOCIAL ENTREPRENEURSHIP SUMMER INSTITUTE:
JULY 12 - JULY 23, 2021