Teen ArchStudio Summer Institute
TEEN ARCH STUDIO
The Teen ArchStudio Summer Institute program is offered by the UCLA Department of Architecture and Urban Design and open to current high school students.
This program is an intensive, full-time summer architecture experience to high school students interested in exploring architecture and design thinking. Two tracks are offered for interested participants:
TEEN ARCHSTUDIO (Two Weeks) July 8 - July 20 2 quarter units of UC credit
This track covers two-weeks of exploratory design studio in which students will work alongside their studio instructors through several design exercises and projects.
TEEN ARCHSTUDIO PLUS (Three Weeks) July 8 - July 27 3 quarter units of UC credit
The PLUS track includes an additional third week to the standard two-week program introducing basic digital and computational tools.
NOTE: Before enrolling in the program, you should be aware of the time commitment and course workload inherent in a program of this nature.
This program exposes high school students to the architecture discipline, giving them a sense of the life of a college student and the chance to experience the profession through the design of a project, field trips to landmark buildings and Los Angeles architectural offices.
- Receive mentorship from current UCLA Architecture and Urban Design students, alumni, and faculty.
- Have the opportunity to utilize the renowned facilities of the UCLA Architecture and Urban Design including the campus at large, as well as experience the urban life of Los Angeles.
Both tracks are structured around the experience of a design studio typically offered within the curriculum of an undergraduate program. Studio focuses on developing design skills through space making and its drawing representation. Individual and group projects generate a dynamic and productive environment designed to help students in their decision making process to consider studies in architecture or other design related fields.
If you would like to know more or have any questions, please contact Teen ArchStudio directly.
To participate for the Teen ArchStudio or Teen ArchStudio PLUS Summer Institute, you must meet the following qualifications:
- 14 years of age or older prior to June 25, 2018
- Enrolled in grades 8th – 12th during Spring 2018
Students who do not meet the minimum program requirements should not register and should consider other summer opportunities.
The TeenArch and TeenArch PLUS Summer Institute is by instructor consent only. To participate, you must apply and receive acceptance into the program.
As part of the application process, you will be asked to complete the following:
- A brief questionnaire with responses to the following questions
- What is your current cumulative G.P.A.?
- Why do you wish to pursue design?
- What does Design / Architecture mean to you?
- What have you ever designed?
- If you could change one thing in your neighborhood through design, what would it be and how would you rethink it?
Students will be notified within 2 weeks of an acceptance decision.
NOTE: Students should compose the essay before beginning the online registration process. There will be text fields on the online registration form of which the response text can be copied.
How to Apply
Application for the Teen ArchStudio and Teen ArchStudio PLUS can be done conveniently online using the steps below.
- Access the Summer Institute Online Registration Form. Read all terms and conditions, then scroll to the bottom and “Continue to Registration”.
- Complete the first page of the online registration form by answering all mandatory questions, then, select “Continue” at the end of the first page.
- Provide responses to all questions on the second page of the online registration form, including your questionnaire responses (see Application Requirements above for more information)
- Submit your registration form.
- Once your form is submitted, you will be directed to the Retrieve Registration page.
- Allow up to 2 weeks for the program instructor(s) to review your application. An email will be sent to you with the official decision.
- If accepted to the program, follow the steps in your acceptance email to make payment of the non-refundable deposit ($150 for domestic students, $400 for international students) and reserve your space in the program.
A space in the program is not reserved for you until valid payment of the non-refundable deposit* is completed. Those who are not prepared to pay after program acceptance can submit their registration form and retrieve registration at another time to make payment, however you risk losing a space in the program if the program reaches capacity prior to the ability to pay.
This deposit is not refundable under any circumstances including, but not limited to, drop for non-payment and withdrawal, even if you withdraw from the program before it begins. If you withdraw, this deposit will appear as processing fee charge on your BruinBill account.
If the program is full, you will not be prompted to make payment. When your application is accepted from the wait list, you will be notified by email with instructions for methods of payment.
If registering after May 1, full payment of all fees including the non-refundable deposit but excluding any applicable document and IEI fees is required to reserve your space in the program.
HOW TO MAKE CHANGES TO MY REGISTRATION
Already submitted the online registration form but need to make a change or finish your registration? You can easily do so by retrieving your registration. To retrieve registration, please complete the steps below:
- Access the Summer Institute Retrieve Registration Form here.
- You will need your five-digit registration number that was sent to your email address. Fill out the form, then “Submit”.
Many changes and additions can be made using retrieve registration including: Payment submission of the non-refundable deposit
- Uploading required documents
- Dropping a current program
- Adding a second program
- Switching to a new program