Teen ArchStudio Summer Institute
July 6 - July 23, 2021
Teen ArchStudio is a three-week summer architecture experience for high school students interested in exploring architecture and design-thinking offered by the UCLA Department of Architecture and Urban Design.
The program carries three quarter units of UC credit and is open to students who are 14 years of age or older prior to June 22, 2021, and enrolled in grades 9th-12th during Spring 2021.
This year’s program will be delivered online in a remote learning format (see Studio Format below).
Structured around the experience of a design studio typically offered within the curriculum of a college-level architecture program, students focus on developing their design skills through space, and form making, and related 2D and 3D representation techniques.
Through a wide range of activities – from intensive design exercises, individual feedback sessions, and small group discussions, to studio-wide presentations, and reviews – students are introduced to the conceptual and technical facilities essential to the study of architecture as a discipline. To supplement studio activities, weekly lectures from UCLA faculty and notable guest designers will explore the many facets of idea-driven design, as well as urban culture in Los Angeles.
The program culminates in final presentations of work to guest critics, offering students a chance to apply their skills and gain experience preparing and giving presentations, as well as content for a portfolio that can be used to apply to future design programs. Furthermore, after taking courses and receiving mentorship from current UCLA students and faculty, students can often picture themselves pursuing architecture and design in a university setting, and feel more prepared and confident when they go to college.
Questions? Email email@example.com
This year’s program will be delivered online in a remote learning format. Students will be assigned to an instructor and online studio space, with a dedicated technical support instructor also assigned to each studio. Software and fabrication tool tutorials will be provided each week as relevant to assignments.
A complete list of the required hardware, software and drawing materials can be found here. All students will be expected to provide their own technical equipment and materials to participate in the course.
To participate for the Teen ArchStudio or Teen ArchStudio PLUS Summer Institute, you must meet the following qualifications:
- 14 years of age or older prior to June 21, 2021
- Enrolled in grades 9th – 12th during Spring 2021
Students who do not meet the minimum program eligibility should not register and should consider other summer opportunities.
How to Register
Application for the Teen ArchStudio and Teen ArchStudio PLUS can be done conveniently online using the steps below.
- Access the Summer Institute Online Registration Form. Read all terms and conditions, then scroll to the bottom and “Continue to Registration”.
- Complete the first page of the online registration form by answering all mandatory questions, then, select “Continue” at the end of the first page.
- Provide responses to all questions on the second page of the online registration form, then “Submit”.
- Once your form is submitted, you will be redirected to the retrieve registration page, where you can select “Pay Now” to proceed with payment of the non-refundable registration fee . Continue with the payment instructions to reserve your space in the program.
A space in the program is not reserved for you until valid payment of the non-refundable registration fee* is completed. Those who are not prepared to pay after program acceptance can submit their registration form, log out, and retrieve registration at another time to make payment, however you risk losing a space in the program if program reaches capacity prior to the ability to pay. An email with instructions to retrieve registration will be sent within an hour of submitting your registration.
How to Make Registration Changes
Already submitted the online registration form but need to make a change or finish your registration? You can easily do so by retrieving your registration. To retrieve registration, please complete the steps below:
- Access the Summer Institute Retrieve Registration Form here.
- You will need your five-digit registration number that was sent to your email address. Fill out the form, then “Submit”.
TEEN ARCHSTUDIO SUMMER INSTITUTE:
JULY 6 - JULY 23, 2021