Summer Intensive Studies (SIS) provide a unique opportunity to complete a 10-week course in just three weeks or a three-quarter long series in just nine weeks. SIS courses will be offered the following dates in Summer 2020.
SIS Courses - Series
The following SIS courses are part of a series. Students can take one, two, or all three courses in the series as long as any applicable pre-requisite(s) have been completed.
Other SIS Courses
The following SIS courses can be completed in just three weeks.
Please read the course description before enrolling in any Intensive Studies course to ensure that you have fulfilled the requisite(s).
For UCLA students, MyUCLA will automatically check to see if the enforced requisites have been met. Students wishing to complete more than one Summer Intensive Studies course may complete a Student Update Form and email the form to firstname.lastname@example.org to enroll.
For all other students, if you have had experience comparable to the listed requisite, you may enroll. Transcripts or proof of completion of a requisite course is not required for visiting Summer Sessions students.
College of Letters and Science students, graduate students, and visiting non-UCLA students may take a maximum of 18 units per summer. All other UCLA students may take a maximum of 16 units.
If you wish to exceed your study load limit, you must obtain approval from your respective school or college.
Adding Intensive Studies Courses
UCLA students can enroll in a Summer Intensive Studies course online via MyUCLA using the Class Planner or Find a Class and Enroll function. Submission of a deposit payment is not required for UCLA students. However, the processing fee of $150 will be assessed if all summer courses are dropped regardless of whether instruction has begun.
Please contact UCLA Summer Sessions at email@example.com should you experience any issues with enrollment.
Whether new or returning to UCLA Summer Sessions, all visiting students including other UC students must complete our Academic Course Registration first in order to enroll in Summer Intensive Studies courses.
Once you have submitted the online registration form and the $150 nonrefundable deposit , an email will be sent to you with your UCLA ID number. Please note that even if you already have a UCLA ID and logon, you will not have access to MyUCLA summer enrollment options unless your registration is complete.
Registration is not complete until the deposit is paid in full. Those who are not prepared to pay can submit their registration form and access their existing registration at another time to make the deposit.
This deposit is nonrefundable even if you drop all courses before they begin. For additional information about refund policies, please refer to FEES AND PAYMENT in the left menu bar.
You will use your UCLA ID number to obtain a UCLA logon via MyUCLA. If you already have a UCLA logon, you do not need to create a new logon. Simply log in to your pre-existing account. Be sure to update your address, e-mail, and phone number if necessary.
Dropping Intensive Studies Courses
Important: Before dropping or attempting to drop any Intensive Studies course, please read and understand the following summer policies.
- If you drop a Summer Intensive Studies course after the refund deadline, you will be held liable for the full cost of the class. Please refer to the refund policies and deadlines before dropping.
- A course may NOT be dropped or removed from your record if you make any attempt to take the final examination.
- The drop procedure is dependent on whether or not the course is impacted. Impacted courses are subject to stricter drop policies.
Non-Impacted Intensive Studies Courses
Non-impacted SIS courses are subject to the drop procedures below:
- Before the final week of the course: Sign-in to MyUCLA, select "Classes," then "Drop a Class" and proceed with the course cancellation.
- Final week of the course: Submit a Student Update Form with the instructor's signature provided on the form to 1331 Murphy Hall during regular business hours or via email (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Impacted Intensive Studies Courses
Impacted SIS courses are subject to the drop procedures below:
- Before 5 PM, Friday of Week 1 of the course: Sign-in to MyUCLA, select "Classes," then "Drop a Class" and proceed with the course cancellation.
- Current UCLA students are required to submit a Late Impacted Course Drop Petition or Retroactive Drop Petition Form from their counseling unit . Non-UCLA students will be required to complete a Summer Sessions Student Update Form and submit the request to the Summer Sessions Office, 1331 Murphy Hall, in order to drop any impacted course. Both an interactive (PDF) and Student Update Form printable (PDF) versions of the Student Update Form available.
- College Academic Counseling, A316 Murphy Hall
- Honors Programs Office, A311 Murphy Hall
- AAP Counseling Office, 1209 Campbell Hall
- Athletic Counseling Office, Morgan Center
- School of Engineering and Applied Science, 6426 Boelter Hall
- School of Nursing, 2-137 Factor Building
- School of Arts and Architecture, 2200 Broad Art Center
- School of Theater, Film, & Television, 103 East Melnitz
- Graduate Division, 1255 Murphy Hall
Fees and Payment
The fee for a summer course is calculated based on the unit value the course carries and your student status. In addition to the course fee, students are assessed other campus and administrative fees during the summer. Below is a summary of fees that may apply.
Note: All fees are subject to change without prior notice.
|2020 Unit Fee||$279 per unit (UC Undergrad) | $349 per unit (UC Graduate Student) | $360 per unit (all others)|
|IEI Fee||$61 per summer (students without a bachelor's degree)|
Document fee covers a lifetime supply of official transcripts mailed by USPS first class mail. Summer-only visiting students, except visiting UC students, will be assessed a one-time document fee during their first summer term; returning summer-only students will not be subject to the document fee. For more information, please click here.
|$50 assessed only for the first summer term at UCLA|
|Late Add Fee
A non-refundable late fee of $50 will be assessed for each course added after Friday of second week of the session. No late fees are assessed if a student is re-adding a class that was dropped, switching sections of the same class, or adding any 99, 195-199, 596-599 courses.
|$50 per class added after second week|
Registration and Campus Fees
|UCLA Students||$130.70 (Undergraduate) | $66(Graduate)|
|Visiting UC Students||$150|
|Non-UC Students (Domestic)||$350|
|Non-UC Students (International)||$400|
Additional Visa-Related Fees for Visiting International Student
|International Student Service Fee||$400|
UCLA financial aid is available only to qualified UCLA students, including newly admitted UCLA students beginning in the fall 2020.
All visiting students, including other UC students , should check with their home institution regarding financial aid options.
All registered Summer Sessions students assume full responsibility for all fees regardless of their financial aid status and are held to the UCLA Summer Sessions payment deadlines.
Other University of California campuses may offer financial aid for Summer Study at UCLA. If you are a current UC student, please check with your home financial aid office.
UC Financial Aid Offices
Note: All deadlines are in Pacific Daylight Time (PDT). Please take the time zone into consideration when making arrangements to process your payment.
|Student Type||Payment Deadline|
|Visiting Non-UC Students:||May 15 (5PM)|
|UC Students:||June 19 (5PM)|
*If enrolling after the payment deadline, please consult with UCLA Summer Sessions (email@example.com) to determine the next payment deadline. These payment deadlines may be extended only for UC students who are identified by their respective UC financial aid office as summer financial aid recipients. No exception requests by individual UC students will be accepted regardless of their UC summer financial aid status. Those who are granted exception will be notified of the extended payment deadline.
Refund and Cancellation Policy
2020 Refund Deadlines for Summer Intensive Studies
|Intensive Studies Session Dates||Refund Deadline|
|June 22 – July 10||5PM, June 26|
|July 13 – July 31||5PM, July 17|
|August 3 – August 21||5PM, August 7|
UCLA students are not required to pay a deposit prior to summer enrollment. However, a processing fee of $150 will be assessed if all summer courses are dropped at any point in time, regardless of whether instruction has begun. This processing fee is not refundable under any circumstances.
Excluding the processing fee, the following fees are refundable only if the course is dropped before the course's refund deadline (specified above):
- Course fee
- Instructional Enhancement Initiative (IE) fee
- Material use fee(s)
- Campus- based fees (if all courses dropped)
- Document fee (if all courses dropped)
These fees are 100% NON-refundable if dropped after the refund deadline, and you will be financially liable for any courses you are enrolled in past the refund deadline.