SUMMER SCHOLARS SUPPORT
Summer Scholars Support is a need- and merit-based scholarship opportunity for California high school students enrolled in grades 8th – 11th. Both partial and full scholarships are available for students enrolled in UCLA academic courses, Precollege Summer Institutes, or the Summer College Immersion Program (SCIP)
- February 15: Registration for academic courses, Precollege Summer Institutes, or the UCLA Summer College Immersion Program (SCIP)available.
- February 15: Summer Scholars Online Form available.
- April 1: Summer Scholars Application due by 5PM.
- April 27: Award announcements are emailed at 5PM.
- May 1: Students who have been awarded support must confirm acceptance by replying to the award announcement email.
EligibilityTo apply for Summer Scholars Support, you must meet the following minimum eligibility criteria:
- You are a current or incoming high school student in the state of California;
- You have not received any UCLA Summer Scholars Support in the past;
- You will be a high school student in Fall 2020 (seniors graduating in 2020 are not eligible);
- You have a family annual adjusted gross income of $100,000 or less; and
- You are enrolled in 2020 UCLA Summer Sessions, either an academic course, Precollege Summer Institute, or the UCLA Summer College Immersion Program (SCIP). Deferred payment of the deposit required for enrollment is available to those who meet additional need-based criteria. See Deferred Deposit for more information.
Summer Scholars Support Award
Summer Scholars Support will be awarded based on academic ability and financial need. Priority consideration will be given to those who have not had any comparable experience.
Awards vary but will not exceed the total amount for a single academic course up to 5 units, a single Summer Institute, or SCIP. Awards are not intended to cover travel costs and may not cover textbooks or other course materials.
This year, $100,000 is available to support selected high school students. About 30 to 40 partial or full scholarships will be awarded. The award amount will reflect the fees of the academic course or program (either SCIP or a Summer Institute) in which the applicant is enrolled.
All requirements below should be acquired and prepared prior to starting the Summer Scholars Online Form.
- Unofficial transcript
- Student resume
- Personal Statement (see below)
- W-2 Tax Form (if eligible for one)
- 1040 Tax Form
For questions, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Applicants will select 3 out of the 6 questions below and answer each question in 250 – 300 words.
- Describe a pivotal experience in your education and how it has shaped the person you are today and/or your goals for the future.
- Describe a significant challenge you have faced. How has it affected you and what steps have you taken to overcome it?
- What class or extracurricular activity has had the biggest impact on you, and why?
- Why are you interested in the program and/or course you have registered for, and what do you hope to get out of it?
- Describe a community you are a part of. Why it is important to you, and what role have you had in that community?
- What issue are you passionate about, and why? How have you acted on that passion?
Personal statements should be saved in one singular word or pdf document.
How to Apply
- Register for an academic course, Precollege Summer Institute, or the UCLA Summer College Immersion Program (SCIP) starting February 15. Payment of the nonrefundable deposit is required (with the exception of those applying for Deferred Deposit. For information on Deferred Deposit, see "Deferred Deposit" below).
- Complete the Summer Scholars Support Online Application, which is available February 15 through 5PM, April 1.
For a full overview of how to apply, please view our Summer Scholars Support Checklist!
Registration for UCLA Summer Sessions requires a deposit of $150; however, the deposit amount may be deferred for students who meet all eligibility requirements for Summer Scholars Support, complete the Summer Scholars Support application prior to the deadline, AND meet one of the following qualifications:
- Current recipient of the State of California (CalFresh) or U.S. Public Assistance (including food stamps, cash, and/or medical assistance). Documentation Required: Copy of EBT Card and photo ID.
- Participant in the free and reduced lunch program. Documentation Required: Photo of lunch tickets or official letter from your high school.
- Family Annual Gross Income below $50,000. Documentation Required: Page 1 of parent/guardian(s) 1040 EZ
Those applying for Deferred Deposit can indicate their intention to apply during the Summer Scholars Online Form and will be contacted after successful submission of the Summer Scholars Online Form with further steps.
NOTE: Receiving Deferred Deposit does NOT indicate student will receive a Summer Scholarship, as the scholarship is very competitive. In the event you apply for a scholarship and are not granted one, you will have 24 business hours to pay the $150 deposit; otherwise, you will be dropped from your program.