Technology Leadership Summer Institute
TECHNOLOGY LEADERSHIP SUMMER INSTITUTE
The Easton Technology Management Center at the UCLA Anderson School of Management presents an innovative summer program to students interested in pursuing a career as a manager, a leader, or an entrepreneur in sectors such as high-tech, finance, healthcare, entertainment/media, manufacturing, and others, where technology plays a key role in everyday business functioning.
This 6-week intensive program explores the many vital areas of technology leadership including innovation and product development, data management and data analytics, as well as design thinking and AI/machine learning.
All students will gain hands-on experience by working on a team-based project to develop a new product from ideation to management. Students will also gain a better sense of what it is like to have a technology role through company visits, speaker series, and panels.
The program is open to all majors.
All students will take one core course on Technology Leadership, then build their own custom educational experience by bundling the core course with one of the following areas specialization:
New products are the lifeblood of any corporation and the cornerstone of any economy. Without expanding the product portfolio, any modern corporation can quickly succumb to competition and lose significant market share, or even be totally dis-intermediated. This phenomenon has been intensified with the advancements in digital economy. The innovation process has been significantly altered as a result of the impact of digital economy across all industries and markets. While most companies recognize the need for new products, not all such new products that are introduced to the market are successful. And even a smaller percentage can stand the test of time and reach significant market share or achieve resilient popularity. Innovation is one of the key drivers of making new products. We will examine the process of innovation and new product development and discuss the associated paradigms and success factors (through the case and class discussions).
This course is designed to help students deepen their understanding of new product innovation, development, and management. In the course the student will assume the role of a product developer or a product manager focused on developing a –new- concept into a new product (for a start-up or a mature corporation). This product developer/manager identifies, develops, and commercializes a new product according to the material presented in the class and the reading assignments. The course will seek to develop students’ critical thinking, decision-making skills, and creativity to develop and launch a successful new product (team project).
This track explores data management – through databases, SQL and analytics. In order to become a successful business manager and entrepreneur, interpreting data and understanding how to analyze data will help students work in larger number of technology roles in various sectors.
What the program offers:
- Team-based Product Development Project where students will work in teams under the guidance of the instructor and prepare to present the project to a group of invited guests such as UCLA Anderson’s current MBA and PhD students, faculty, industry professionals, and instructors for a comprehensive feedback.
- Company Visits to local companies and startups where students will discover many different aspects of business in the technology sector.
- Industry Speaker Series with high-profile industry leaders and professionals.
- Networking Opportunities with industry professionals and graduate students.
- Panels with current MBA students for an insight of their experiences in business school and career goals.
- Courses taught using up-to-date case studies from Harvard Business School to discuss all the current issues in the market.
To participate in the Technology Leadership Summer Institute, you must meet the following qualifications:
- Currently have a high school diploma (or equivalent)
Students who do not meet the minimum program requirements should not register and should consider other summer opportunities.
How to Register
Registration for the Technology Leadership Summer Institute can be done conveniently online using the steps below.
- Access the Summer Institute Online Registration Form here. Read all terms and conditions, then scroll to the bottom and "Continue to Registration".
- Complete the first page of the online registration form by answering all mandatory questions, then, select “Continue” at the end of the first page.
- Provide responses to all questions on the second page of the online registration form, then “Submit”.
- Once your form is submitted, you will be redirected to the retrieve registration page, where you can select "Pay Now" to proceed with payment of the non-refundable deposit . Continue with the payment instructions to reserve your space in the program.
A space in the program is not reserved for you until valid payment of the non-refundable deposit* is completed. Those who are not prepared to pay after program acceptance can submit their registration form, log out, and retrieve registration at another time to make payment, however you risk losing a space in the program if program reaches capacity prior to the ability to pay. An email with instructions to retrieve registration will be sent within an hour of submitting your registration.
How to Make Registration Changes Already submitted the online registration form but need to make a change or finish your registration? You can easily do so by retrieving your registration. To retrieve registration, please complete the steps below:
- Access the Summer Institute Retrieve Registration Form here.
- You will need your five-digit registration number that was sent to your email address. Fill out the form, then “Submit”.
JUNE 24 - AUGUST 2, 2019